F1 | Race Season Comes To A Close in Abu Dhabi. Race Recap and Next Year Storylines (Formula 1)
Formula 1

F1 | Race Season Comes To A Close in Abu Dhabi. Race Recap and Next Year Storylines

author image

Max Verstappen claimed a record-extending 15th win of the season at the final race of the year in Abu Dhabi.

Max Verstappen ended the most dominant season in style with a record-extending 15th victory of the season surpassing the previous mark of 13 races.

Going into the race, Red Bull was 1 and 2 on the grid and in the most shocking ending considering how Ferrari has run their season, they got their strategy right allowing for Charles Leclerc to complete a spectacular effort to hold off Sergio Perez for second on the day and second in the drivers’ championship.

As Verstappen crossed the finish line, you could hear Red Bull on Verstappen’s team radio state, “That was sublime, a perfect way to sum up the season."

15 wins in 22 races this season.

Believe it or not, Max Verstappen has never really been interested in Formula 1 records.

His “ultimate goal", he has consistently said, was always to win one world title. Anything after that? A bonus, rather than a source of motivation many other drivers would use as fuel. Some even said he may take his foot off the gas in 2022 after winning his maiden crown last year, given the intensity, and controversy, of that battle.

But – in what has seemed like the blink of an eye – less than 10 months after that Abu Dhabi title decider, Formula 1 now has a new multiple drivers’ champion after one of the most convincing, most dominant, most impressive title defenses you are ever likely to see.

He joins a pantheon of greats. Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel, are the only others this millennium to claim back-to-back crowns.

In that company already, and only just 25 years old. Max Verstappen may not crave a dynasty, but this could well be the start of the Verstappen era of F1.

ABU DHABI, UNITED ARAB EMIRATES - NOVEMBER 20: Race Winner Max Verstappen of the Netherlands and Oracle Red Bull Racing and Third placed Sergio Perez of Mexico and Oracle Red Bull Racing celebrate on the podium during the F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi at Yas Marina Circuit on November 20, 2022 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool // SI202211202732 // Usage for editorial use only //

Is this a start of the next dynasty or something more? After the race, Verstappen hinted at retirement and still refuses to commit to the sport past his current Red Bull deal, which lasts until the 2028 season.

Verstappen, who will be 31-years-old when his deal ends, then admitted his reasons for those doubts.

“I want to do other stuff," he said. “F1 is amazing and I’ve achieved a lot, and I’m very happy and proud about it… but it’s a lot of traveling and it’s a lot of races [F1 is set for a 24-race season in 2023]. And at one point, what is more important? Is family more important, or is F1 more important? That’s when you need to make your mind up."

By claiming his second crown, Verstappen overhauls F1 greats such as James Hunt and Nigel Mansell. He joins legends like Graham Hill and Jim Clark. He’s one off Ayrton Senna, Niki Lauda, and Sir Jackie Stewart.

Yet, Verstappen has an advantage on virtually every F1 driver in his bid for records in that he has only just turned 25 years old. Many drivers in the sport’s history had not even made their debut by that age.

Verstappen’s by the numbers against legends who had made their debut earlier than most also with great success

Verstappen vs Michael Schumacher at same age
30 more wins, 18 more poles, 57 more podiums, two more titles.

Verstappen vs Lewis Hamilton at same age
21 more wins, one more pole, 47 more podiums, one more title.

Verstappen vs Fernando Alonso at same age
18 more wins, four more poles, 41 more podiums, one more title.

Verstappen vs Sebastian Vettel at same age
10 more wins, 15 fewer poles, 35 more podiums, same amount of titles.

Logan Sargeant: American driver lands Williams F1 seat for 2023 after earning super licence.

Logan Sargeant claims fourth in Formula 2 championship to clinch super licence and Formula 1 seat. Sargeant, an American and only 21-years-old, will partner Alex Albon at Williams next season.

Sargeant was revealed as Williams’ preferred replacement for Nicholas Latifi at the United States GP last month, but the move was depending on him earning enough super license points.

By finishing fifth in F2’s season-ending Abu Dhabi feature race Sargeant clinched fourth in the championship – enough to take him over the 40-point requirement.

Sargeant, a Williams junior driver who has taken part in several F1 practice sessions this season, and when he lines up full time next season he will become the first US driver on the grid since Alexander Rossi in 2015.

"It’s a huge honor and a dream come true to be given this opportunity to compete in Formula One with Williams," said Sargeant. “A massive thank you to every person at Williams Racing and Dorilton Motor Sports for the support they’ve given me since the day I first joined the team as an academy driver at the 2021 United States Grand Prix. I feel like I’ve put in as much work as anyone else to reach this point and I just have to prepare the best I possibly can to be the best driver I can possibly be next year. Hopefully, that’s good enough to stay in F1 for a long time."

“I don’t think it’s any extra pressure," Sargeant said of being an American in a sport that is growing in the United States. “I have high expectations for myself as it is."

Daniel Ricciardo is set to join Red Bull as a development driver for 2023.

Daniel Ricciardo has confirmed he is set to join Red Bull in a development role for 2023, and says he would be happier with that position than a full-time race seat further down the grid as he needs a “break" from Formula 1.

Ricciardo, an eight-time race winner and one of the biggest names in the sport, will be off the grid next year after having his McLaren deal ended early.

Confirmed by Red Bull’s bosses and now Ricciardo, the Australian is set to return to his former team as a third driver, with his duties likely to include show runs and other marketing exploits, as well as simulator work for certain races.

“I knew that I wanted some time off next year from a race seat and just from competition," Ricciardo said at the Abu Dhabi GP.

“It’s obviously been pretty tiring the last couple of years with the struggles, so it was pretty clear to me shortly after the summer break that that was what I wanted, and what was going to be best for me. So then it was, ‘ok, what’s the next best thing?’. And the more I thought about it, to obviously be involved to some degree with a top team, that was obviously the preference."

Lewis Hamilton Goes Winless 2022

With a DNF on second to last lap at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton finished his first season ever as an F1 driver, winless.

Mercedes, who came into the season as reigning eight-time champions but finished it third in the standings, struggled for pace all season long and in Yas Marina’s season finale, Hamilton suffered a hydraulics issue on the penultimate lap.

“I hope that the struggles this year really provide us with the tools and the strengths to fight for many more championships moving forward."

Mercedes fell back this year after the sweeping regulation changes.

The 2022 season wasn’t just winless for Hamilton; a sixth-placed finish in the championship was also his lowest ever.

F1 announces 24-race calendar for 2023.

Kicking off in Bahrain on March 5 and concluding in Abu Dhabi on November 26, the season will feature a record-breaking 24 races, with China and Qatar set to return, and Las Vegas arriving as the penultimate round for a Saturday night race.

The traditional summer break will remain in August, though changes to race dates see Belgium move to the end of July as a back-to-back with Hungary, while the Netherlands is twinned with Italy after the restart.Speaking of the announcement of the calendar, Formula 1 CEO and President Stefano Domenicali said: “We are excited to announce the 2023 calendar with 24 races around the world. Formula 1 has unprecedented demand to host races and it is important we get the balance right for the entire sport.

“We are very pleased with the strong momentum Formula 1 continues to experience and it is great news that we will be able to bring our passionate fans a mix of exciting new locations such as Las Vegas to the Championship with much loved venues across Europe, Asia and the Americas.”

“The presence of 24 races on the 2023 FIA Formula One World Championship calendar is further evidence of the growth and appeal of the sport on a global scale,” added FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem.

“The addition of new venues and the retention of traditional events underlines the FIA’s sound stewardship of the sport."



Loading...